Monday, May 13, 2013

A Day at the Getty Villa.

Over a month ago we went to the Getty Museum in Malibu with a few friends.  Since Charlie and our friends are all transplants to Southern California they had never been and after a conversation about it one night I was set on taking all of them!  It is such a gorgeous place filled with an array of beautiful art.  On this particular occasion there was a lot from the Etruscan period, Mesopotamia and Rome.  We even saw a tiny piece of paper where Homer wrote the original "Iliad" which i found so amazing.  That little bit of text was so ancient and has been so monumental in literature if was just fascinating to see it.  There was also a lot of art depicting Olympic games, a section on glass art and blowing, old coins, jewelry and a mummy that was found near Egypt but it was a clear mix between Mesopotamian culture and Egyptian.

I didn't take a ton of pictures but I haven't blogged in a while and this was such a great day so I thought it was worthy.  After we spent a good 3 or 4 hours at the Getty we decided to grab some lunch (and after driving around for an hour trying to find parking on a gorgeous day) we decided to head to the Santa Monica pier for fish and chips!  Unfortunately I don't really have any pictures from that, even though the pier is great.  Restaurants, rides, games and arcades, so much fun.



I didn't take any pictures of the inside really, I think that you may have been able to but it sort of slipped my mind.  These were some pictures i took of one of the outdoor gardens. 




Charlie isn't really into museums and I know he was really humoring me by going.  He made a joke to my Dad saying I am taking him to get cultured.  In spite of not really wanting to be there he had a great attitude about it and I know he learned and saw a few cool things, no matter what he might say (haha).


There is a great viewing spot out to the garden.  This was all of us looking at at it and the next picture is a view from the opposite end. We were standing in the middle of that tiny looking window on the second story!




There was a TON of beautiful jewelry which was one of my favorite things to see.  My friend Kristen took this picture of one of the many pieces we saw. 



And here is my beautiful friend Kristen trying on a Medusa hat in the gift shop.  She is going to make an excellent teacher one day. 


Tickets to the Getty are free so if you are ever coming to this area i would highly recommend going, especially if you can get a babysitter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment