Thursday, May 7, 2015

Graduate School

Yup! It's happening for me and I am so excited about it!

One of my biggest intentions for moving from NY was coming back for graduate school.  I had applied to SDSU for an educational leadership program and I felt really good about my odds in getting in, I had current professors recommending me and my Dad is alumni, I thought easy, I'll be a shoe in.  Much to my dismay about a week into our time in San Diego i found out that i was not even considered for the interview!  I was told that I had to go for credentialing first (as costly as graduate school) and because of the route I am interested in, I knew that getting those credentials was something I had been avoiding on purpose.  Well I must say that for the first few days I was pretty devastated and in shock really. I felt guilty that I had asked Charlie to leave his home to come with me across country to go to school, I had this plan all figured out and,well, life clearly seemed to be unconcerned with my vision.

I took a few weeks before trying to figure out my next step.  I started looking for full-time positions doing something like i was doing in New York but didn't feel really right about it because it wasn't a positive progression for me.  I pretty much knew and decided again that I needed to go on in my education, that was something I felt meant for, maybe just not that particular program.  After lots of talking with family and Charlie i started to think, why couldn't I go for a business degree?  I really blossomed in the last position i was in and built a lot of confidence so why wouldn't i do well in that type of program?  I started researching and found that California State University of San Marcos (where I went for my BA) offered a specialized accelerated masters in business administration degree, where a student can earn their degree in 15 months.  This particular program also encouraged applicants with only a few years of background in business and to apply even if your degree was in a non related field.  PERFECT!!! So I attended a few information sessions, applied and almost exactly a month after getting rejected I was accepted in the program.  May 26th I will begin graduate school and I couldn't be more excited about it.  

I do still want the same end goal, I would like to run some supplemental educational program, but I am open to opportunities and possibilities.  This is a way to better myself and my future even if it is not the way I originally envisioned it.  

So, cheers to a new chapter!!




1 comment:

  1. Congrats Michelle! Proud of you for not being deterred and just making another route work for you! Good luck in school!!

    ReplyDelete